Welcome to the Litigation page of EMG Law Firm! Our law firm provides clients with effective legal representation in litigation and arbitration matters throughout New York and certain courts nationwide. This page is dedicated to discussing litigation in New York, a traditional form of dispute resolution that may be necessary in certain circumstances.
LITIGATION IN NEW YORK STATE & FEDERAL COURTS
Litigation is a legal process that involves resolving disputes through court proceedings. It is a complex and formal process requiring legal representation to navigate the various stages.
At Evan Miles Goldberg PLLC, our attorneys have the experience and expertise to provide comprehensive legal representation in litigation matters. Contact us at 212-888-6497 to schedule a consultation and learn more about our services.
STAGES OF LITIGATION
Litigation in New York involves several stages, including:
- Pleadings: The first stage of litigation involves filing pleadings, which include a complaint from the plaintiff and an answer from the defendant. These documents set out the claims and defenses of the parties.
- Discovery: The discovery stage involves gathering and exchanging information relevant to the dispute. This can include depositions, interrogatories, document requests, and admissions requests.
- Motions: The parties may file motions at various stages of litigation to seek dismissal of claims or to obtain summary judgment.
- Trial: If the case proceeds to trial, both parties will present evidence and arguments to a judge or jury, who will decide on the case.
- Appeal: If a party is dissatisfied with the trial's outcome, they may appeal the decision to a higher court.
TYPES OF LITIGATION
Litigation can involve various types of disputes, including:
- Contract disputes: Disputes over the terms and performance of a contract.
- Business disputes: Disputes between businesses, such as disputes over intellectual property or partnerships.
- Employment disputes: Disputes between employers and employees, such as discrimination or wrongful termination claims.
- Personal injury claims: Claims for damages resulting from injuries caused by another party's negligence.
- Real estate disputes: Disputes over real property ownership, use, or development.
ADVANTAGES OF LITIGATION IN NEW YORK
Litigation can provide several advantages over other forms of dispute resolution, including:
- Formal process: Litigation follows a formal and structured process, which can provide a sense of security and predictability.
- Comprehensive resolution: Litigation can provide a comprehensive resolution to disputes, including the award of damages or injunctive relief.
- Legal precedent: Litigation can establish legal precedent that can guide future cases.
DISADVANTAGES OF LITIGATION IN NEW YORK
Litigation also has some disadvantages that should be considered, including:
- Cost: Litigation can be costly and time-consuming, particularly for complex cases that proceed to trial.
- Adversarial process: Litigation can be an adversarial process that can damage relationships between parties.
- Limited control: The parties have limited control over the outcome of the litigation, which is ultimately decided by a judge or jury.
WHEN IS A LAWYER NEEDED FOR LITIGATION IN NEW YORK?
Legal representation is recommended in all litigation matters. An experienced attorney can provide comprehensive legal representation, including:
- Preparing and filing pleadings and motions.
- Conducting discovery and gathering evidence.
- Representing clients in court proceedings.
- Negotiating settlements.
- Handling appeals.
CONTACT A LITIGATION ATTORNEY IN NEW YORK TODAY
If you are involved in a dispute that requires litigation, you should speak to our attorneys at Evan Miles Goldberg PLLC in New York. We will provide you with comprehensive legal representation, advise you on the best approach, and advocate for your rights. Contact us today either by using the online form or calling us at 212-888-6497 to schedule a consultation and learn more about our services.